Founded in 1842, the club is
steeped in history. The story of our first 150 years is documented in John
Wilcox’s informative and amusing book, “Playing on the Green. A celebration
of 150 years of Banstead Cricket Club”. Copies are available from the club
or Hon Secretary for a suitable donation.
Some key dates in the
history of Banstead CC.
1842: Club founded. There is
circumstantial evidence of a match between Mitcham and Banstead in 1840, but
the first documented evidence is of a match between Banstead and Twickenham on
25th July 1842.
1847: Our earliest scorebook
reveals a match played against Bromley.
1850: The Avenue Road ground
came into existence, with construction of the square funded by Sir George Glyn.
1892: Pavilion (our current
changing rooms) opened
1899: Avenue Road ground
land purchased by Hon Francis Baring, and trust deed set up handing over
management to a board of managers.
1900: WG Grace plays at
1932: after a quiet period
in the 20’s, the third XI was re-formed
1936: the club expands
further with a 4th XI
1939 – 1945: the war years
did not stop the club from functioning, and a celebration event was held to
mark the Club’s centenary in 1942, and records show that future Surrey players Derek and Ron Pratt joined as juniors.
1946: by 1946 the club had
1964: Our second ground,
known as The Rosehill ground, was purchased for £4000, and opened for play in
1968: League cricket
introduced with 18 founder clubs. A 5th XI with regular fixtures was
1970; our “new” pavilion,
formerly Barclay’s Banstead temporary bank building, was opened. In 1971, the
old pavilion was refurbished as changing rooms.
1975: two members each take
all 10 wickets John Jake v Sutton, and John Wilcox v Beddington. The later event
overshadowed Mike Carver’s maiden ton on the same day! The Condie family also
took all wickets and catches in a match against Old Paulines in the same year.
1977: our first lower XI
club tour – to Kent!
1982: Banstead win the
Warwick Wright twenty over competition, aided by a hundred in the final by
David Ward, and go on to win the trophy again in 1983, 1988, 1996 and 1998.
1984: First class cricket
comes to Banstead when Surrey plays Cambridge
University June 26th – 29th. A remarkable event when two
debutants to 1st class cricket both made their maiden centuries in
the same innings – Nick Falkner (of Banstead 101* and Keith Medlycott 117* This
was at the time the only time this had happened in English cricket, and only
the 4th time ever.
1986: 1st XI wins
the Surrey Championship.
1988: the 3rd XI
joins the Surrey Championship.
1991: The club joins forces
with Reigate Hockey club to enable winter use of the facilities. This ran until
1995 and was replaced by a rental arrangement with football in 1996.
1996: The clubhouse is
refurbished and the terrace is built.
1997: The 2nd XI wins
division 1 of the Surrey Championship 2nd XI league. The 4th
XI joins the Surrey Cricket league, and in 2002 gain promotion as runners up in
1998: 3rd XI wins
division 1 of the third XI league.
2000: Banstead U15s win the
National U15 Championship.
2008: Banstead is awarded
Clubmark accreditation, and in the same year the 1st XI is promoted
to the ECB premier division of the Surrey Championship.
2010: The 2nd XI
is promoted to the premier division of the Surrey Championship – all three
Championship sides are now in the premier division of their league.
2014 The 4th XI
wins regional division and are promoted to their premier division of the Surrey